Wonderful Day Pirbright to Hindhead and back

Give your thanks, tell a story, reflect on the good times.
trickey
400cc Thumper

Wonderful Day Pirbright to Hindhead and back

Postby trickey » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:07 pm

It's so good to be in the saddle. Life is good. Got up too late to join Christian's run this morning, that man gets up early. Left base camp Alpha at 11:00am, first lane was Tunnel Hill Pirbright. Extremely dry at the moment so I could test out the recently serviced suspension on the exc 300 over the bumps. Forgot how great full length travel suspension is. Then on to Normandy, up and over the Hogs Back into Puttenham village. Across to Seale via Pilgrims Way, stopped halfway to admire the view of the valley. From Seale onto The Sands, Crooksbury Hill. Stopped at Tilford post office for light refreshments , found out Tilford bridge will be closed for ten months from end of September. Back on the bike, next lane the Whoops towards Frensham Little Pond, love this lane. Funny no water in the stream, must be something to do with global warming. Through the car park avoiding lots of dog walkers, trying to make pleasantries, feeling like a leper. Next surface SAND, deep and dry - the worst. Stand up, weight to the rear and go for it. Got to the end in one piece, met two lads om BMW GS and one on a Honda African Twin who had not long ago been riding with the Big Bike legend Stewie. Lots of TRF networking there. Through the ford heading for Pitch Place, hang a right into the lane, up the hill turn left passed the pond then down again, across the junction into the recently opened Thursley lane. Down hill bit not changed, through the stream then smooth as a babies bum, all the way to the cottages at the top. Gibbet Hill on my own? Is this wise on an unknown, old school KTM 300 2stroke ? What the hell lets go for it. Bottom of the lane unusually flat and smooth, not sure if it's had works carried out there. Mid section getting gnarly. Took a break just before the step. Fluids onboard, walked around the corner for a recce, decided to attack the step from the right hand side . Second gear and pin it , good advice from Lee Walters. Up and over I went, Graham Jarvis eat your heart out. Well deserved cup of tea at the café, then did all in reverse. Met two guys on the way home at Normandy, one a long standing member of the TRF, Baja 90 from Guilford. We talked about the good old days, when you could ride the South Downs Way. It must have been epic to ride that. If only I started green laning long ago . He mentioned old campaigners such Steve Sharpe and Andy Wenlock. What a great hobby.

Bush Pig
350cc Veteran

Re: Wonderful Day Pirbright to Hindhead and back

Postby Bush Pig » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:37 pm

Good to see you back in the saddle.

John

HuskyAndy
250cc Trail Rider

Postby HuskyAndy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:12 pm

Glad you had a good day out, nice to see you with a bike again, next time you do that run may Pippa and I come with you please?, not sure of the lanes around Pirbright way.

PippaB
350cc Veteran

Postby PippaB » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:43 am

Brilliant well done Trickey, nothing beats going out on ones bike and get that feeling back into the bones! Welcome back!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Return to “Ride Reports”