Aldershot Run - 6th July

Give your thanks, tell a story, reflect on the good times.
big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Aldershot Run - 6th July

Postby big yellow tractor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:24 pm

I lead Paul (Farnham Flyer), Scotty72, Clive and Tim on a very warm run from Aldershot to Haslemere and back; just short of 70miles.

We had a couple of minor issues; Tim's BMW450 refused to start at the end of the lane at Woodstreet Village and he was ready to abandon the day. I suggested that we bump it and see how it goes and if it gives up again we'd be able to tow him to the end of a lane to await recovery. After leaving it for a while, it started OK and his mission for the day was DO NOT STALL.

After we had crossed the Hogs Back, we were a bike short and back-tracking revealed a TTR with a 4” nail through the rear tyre and Scott on his phone trying to explain to a recovery company where he was. Despite Scott not having any tools or a tube, a group effort meant that the wheel was removed, the tube replaced and we were on our way again in under an hour. I would always rather try to get someone going again to enjoy the day.

Question to Scott - How tight does an axle nut need to be ??? :shock: :lol:

Puncture Wanborough.JPG

The ride continued without incident until Tim decided to see how much sand he could get in his crevices by binning it at Frensham. We paused for 20 minutes or so in the shade so he could shake out his gear and cool down a bit. The byway was nice and fluffy which I really like. Not many chances to ride that type of surface in the UK.

Lunch and fuel stop was at the garage in Haslemere before we retraced our route, leaving off the very first lanes we rode.

A good day. Not many people on the lanes and All the lanes were very dry; I'm so glad I was leading because the boys were eating dust, big-time

As it should be, the good company made the day.

Thanks chaps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim5k
120cc Thumpstar Pro

Re: Aldershot Run - 6th July

Postby Tim5k » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Colin,
Many thanks for a good run and thanks to all for a good day.

Tim

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:12 pm

big yellow tractor wrote:We had a couple of minor issues; Tim's BMW450 refused to start at the end of the lane at Woodstreet Village and he was ready to abandon the day.

BMWs...

big yellow tractor wrote:After we had crossed the Hogs Back, we were a bike short and back-tracking revealed a TTR with a 4” nail through the rear tyre and Scott on his phone trying to explain to a recovery company where he was. Despite Scott not having any tools or a tube, a group effort meant that the wheel was removed, the tube replaced and we were on our way again in under an hour. I would always rather try to get someone going again to enjoy the day.

I totally agree here. Always see if you can fix it first, hats the point in luging a tool kit otherwise? ;)

My one word of caution though... FOR GODS SAKE don't tell companies you are off road!!!

Twice I have heard people say it over the phone and its both a lie and a bad idea. You are riding on a road at all times and telling your insurer or recovery company otherwise may invalidate your policy.

big yellow tractor wrote:Question to Scott - How tight does an axle nut need to be ??? :shock: :lol:

This made me laugh a bit. Is it anything close to 125nm (Manual spec for Yamaha WRF)?

big yellow tractor wrote:As it should be, the good company made the day.

Glad you had a good time mate. Do like a good report :D

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:07 pm

gtcodave wrote:
big yellow tractor wrote:Question to Scott - How tight does an axle nut need to be ??? :shock: :lol:

This made me laugh a bit. Is it anything close to 125nm (Manual spec for Yamaha WRF)?

I think it was "as tight as you can go without shitting yourself" then stick a 4ft scaffold tube on the spanner and tighten a bit more

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:20 pm

Hahahahahahaha that's one way to put it!

Scotty72
350cc Veteran

Postby Scotty72 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:09 pm

Ok, ok,ok! It was something like bloody tight! I'm paranoid about two things with bikes..brakes working and wheels staying on! I have learnt from this experience.. :lol:
Seriously, was nice that everyone made an effort to help me stay on the ride.. which I really appreciated. :)

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:21 pm

Scotty72 wrote:Ok, ok,ok! It was something like bloody tight! I'm paranoid about two things with bikes..brakes working and wheels staying on! I have learnt from this experience.. :lol:

:)

Scotty72 wrote:Seriously, was nice that everyone made an effort to help me stay on the ride.. which I really appreciated. :)

No worries Scott. I've always believed that was what the "F" in TRF was all about. I've been on runs that have had multiple flats, bikes floating down rivers and riders crashing off mountains; sorting one puncture on a sunny day is no trouble at all.

Glad you had a good day.

farnham flyer
350cc Veteran

Postby farnham flyer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:43 am

That was a great day with some new lanes learnt.

What a decent bunch.

Thanks for leading and see you at Nellies.

Cheers

Paul.

Tim5k
120cc Thumpstar Pro

Postby Tim5k » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:43 am

Does anyone have any other pics they took?
Be good to see them.
Tim

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:45 am

Tim5k wrote:Does anyone have any other pics they took?
Be good to see them.
Tim

Next time, I'll make the effort to get ahead at some strategic points so I can take some pickies

Stewie
1150 adventurer

Postby Stewie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:52 am

Sounds like you had fun, thanks for doing the ride report. :D
Off the beaten track!.

Tim5k
120cc Thumpstar Pro

Postby Tim5k » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:33 am

big yellow tractor wrote:
Tim5k wrote:Does anyone have any other pics they took?
Be good to see them.
Tim

Next time, I'll make the effort to get ahead at some strategic points so I can take some pickies

I think some of the others took some pics.
Thanks again.
Tim

Return to “Ride Reports”