Club Night-Tue 25th November-Special Talk Africa Trail Ride

Up coming club night news
steve sharp
LIFE member

Club Night-Tue 25th November-Special Talk Africa Trail Ride

Postby steve sharp » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:07 pm

Hi,
Welcome to new, old and prospective members!
Tonight we have a special talk from Paul on his trail riding trip to Africa! More details will be provided..

8-30 Arrive grab a beer, meet new members, mark up maps, informal chat.
8-40 formal bit
- Hampshire Temporary TRO's - Update Steven T
- Deregulation Bill + GLEAM Stirring Up Trouble As usual - Derek, Steven T & Ron
- Future Rides - Simon
9-00 Special Talk Africa Trail Ride - Paul
10-30 finish

See you there!

Steve

Billy
woz bus pass

Re: Club Night-Tue 25th November-Special Talk Africa Trail R

Postby Billy » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:43 pm

Sorry to be a pain but is this not traditionally our Christmas Curry night.

prking
250cc Trail Rider

Postby prking » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:04 pm

Steve et all

Time is fine for me, should I offer to get some Bombay mix?

A few details about the presentation (sounds a bit formal putting it like that) Gary is going to come down from Riders UK office in Northampton. We have a couple of clips of Video and a selection of pictures. I had hoped to bring one of the trail bikes along but I think they are being taken to the NEC.

Paul King, Surrey TRF member and Gary Taylor (Riders for Health Training Manager and ride leader) will be sharing their experiences of this year’s 2-week ride through the Zambian bush to raise money for Riders for Health, an organisation which provides health care professionals in Africa with the vehicles and maintenance expertise they need to provide health care to rural communities.

The ride started in Lusaka and headed on to Livingston, with trails making up a good percentage of the journey.

Come and learn about Riders for Health and why their strap line, Motorcyclists Saving Lives is spot on. Maybe you will even tempted to swap the Surrey Hills for the African bush yourself by joining one of the forthcoming trips in 2015 or 2016?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:14 pm

Lets do the curry on a different night. I have PM'd you with some suggested nights for curry.

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:44 pm

Out of curiosity is Riders for Health a profit or non profit making organisation, if non are they a registered charity. Tried to e.mail this question to them but their site was disabled at the moment. No ulterior motive here ,just personal curiosity.

Suzuki-Stumpy
LIFE member

Postby Suzuki-Stumpy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:03 pm

They're a registered charity.

Looks like their site is now up again, and you can find history behind them here: http://www.riders.org/about-us

... they're a very worthwhile and respected cause.

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Suzuki-Stumpy wrote:They're a registered charity.

Looks like their site is now up again, and you can find history behind them here: http://www.riders.org/about-us

... they're a very worthwhile and respected cause.

Cool, thanks for that.

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:46 pm

Must admit to being interested in this until I saw the prices.Would work out £5000 for 8 days including flights, insurances etc. Looks a good cause, but a bit rich for me.

Suzuki-Stumpy
LIFE member

Postby Suzuki-Stumpy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Yes, all the charity rides work out really expensive compared to figuring it out and doing it under your own steam. Usually because at least £1k-£2k goes directly to the charity.

Africa though is an expensive place to go ride. When I did Botswana a few years ago I don't think there was much change out of £10k all in (flights alone were around £2k). You can do it much cheaper elsewhere in the world, but an organised ride with support vehicles will never really come in much under £3-5k...

Strongbow
400cc Thumper

Postby Strongbow » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:52 pm

Billy get in early theres a free dose of Ebola at the moment. :twisted:

stevent
1150 adventurer

Postby stevent » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:23 pm

Looking forward to the talk next month, and maybe we do the curry on w/c 8 Dec, that way we get two get-togethers rather than one

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Dont forget! See you all on Tuesday 25th November for our special talk on the Africa Trail ride. 8-30 start, talk starts at 9-00.

Paul King, Surrey TRF member and Gary Taylor (Riders for Health Training Manager and ride leader) will be sharing their experiences of this year’s 2-week ride through the Zambian bush to raise money for Riders for Health, an organisation which provides health care professionals in Africa with the vehicles and maintenance expertise they need to provide health care to rural communities.

The ride started in Lusaka and headed on to Livingston, with trails making up a good percentage of the journey.

Come and learn about Riders for Health and why their strap line, Motorcyclists Saving Lives is spot on. Maybe you will even tempted to swap the Surrey Hills for the African bush yourself by joining one of the forthcoming trips in 2015 or 2016?

Dont forget ----- Christmas Curry 3rd December 2014 --- book your place, see the post.

Return to “Club Night”