Big Bike newbie

New TRF members & those thinking of joining announce yourselves here.
psb777
50cc Honda PC

Big Bike newbie

Postby psb777 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:52 am

Hi. I've been motorcycling on and off since I was 16 and now, 35+ years later, have owned a total of 8 motorbikes. Experience compensates a little for lack of expertise.

I've had a BMW R1200GS the last two years which I've used almost exclusively on tarmac. I've just traded it in for a new one and Continental TKC 80s are being fitted on Thursday. Other than the BMW Off Road course in Wales and a recent one day experience on a 250cc Honda with Off The Kerb in Dorking I haven't done much off tarmac at all.

I guess I'm not really keen on axle-deep muddy ruts, massive puddles of unknown depth, fords through raging rivers, camping, or aggressive enduro style riding, and my mechanical/maintenance skills are few, hence the Big Bike Under Warranty. But, who knows, maybe next year I'll be on a 400cc KTM held together with cable ties stuck in a snow bank in the Scottish Highlands mid-Winter :-)

I'm booked on the Wiltshire TRF Wessex Wanderer weekend after next, and the Teesside TRF Coast to Coast booking form is in the post. And doubtless I'll see some of you at the next Surrey meeting.

Happy biking
Paul
Ottershaw, Chertsey
Paul B [R1200GS,R80RT]

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Re: Big Bike newbie

Postby Beerbelly » Wed May 06, 2015 1:20 pm

Welcome Paul. Keep a lookout for big bike rides there are a few here with big ktm's and gs's.

Stewie
1150 adventurer

Postby Stewie » Wed May 06, 2015 5:46 pm

Hello and welcome, there's plenty of UCR's and byways that are suitable for riders not that keen on using there bikes as trenching tools :lol: , I have a meet coming up with a UCR route for those with 20/80 tyres, I'll post up details as and when there are finalised.
I'm missing a big trailie at the mo ( some say the 525 is big enough :lol: ) but will change soon, and as said there are a few on here with bigger bikes :D
Quite a lot of big bikes on here - http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum.html with a fair amount of cross over from the TRF :D
Off the beaten track!.

TonyR
400cc Thumper

Postby TonyR » Mon May 11, 2015 8:04 pm

I'd probably be up for some of that, If an africa twin is OK?

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Tue May 12, 2015 8:53 am

TonyR wrote:If an africa twin is OK?

Best adventure bike ever made Tony, despite what the Messerschmitt Pilots might claim!

TonyR
400cc Thumper

Postby TonyR » Tue May 12, 2015 8:22 pm

burls wrote:
TonyR wrote:If an africa twin is OK?

Best adventure bike ever made Tony, despite what the Messerschmitt Pilots might claim!

I agree, It would be nice to get the old girl out on the lanes sometime soon :)

Return to “Welcome New Members”