New member - Camberley, Surrey

New TRF members & those thinking of joining announce yourselves here.
ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

New member - Camberley, Surrey

Postby ScruffyDroid » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:21 am

Morning all

I have just returned to the offroad biking fold, after a 26 year absence....

Originally from Cape Town, I started offroad riding, aged 11, on a Honda Monkeybike. Progressed to a new KDX200 in '84.

I have just purchased a 2002 KDX220R (Daytime MOT) and want to rekindle the spirit of freedom that riding offroad gave me. I like to do my own spannering, since I have been doing so since taking the Monkey Bike apart in 1974!

Sadly, when I transferred my South African Driving licence, the DVLA kindly omitted my A2 from my UK licence. I have heard that this is not so uncommon, and it has happened to many people transferring their foreign licences. I have to do my MOD1/MOD2, let alone the CBT!

Anyone in Camberley, Frimley, Bagshot, Lightwater areas? I'd like to attend the Club meet on 4th Tuesday, if it's still taking place (27th December)?

Happy Christmas / Channukah to all.
Barry
Beta Xtrainer 300 :roll:
Honda CRF230F :oops:
ex-Kawasaki KDX220R (now sold to a fellow TRF Member) :mrgreen:

Dominic
500cc MXER

Re: New member - Camberley, Surrey

Postby Dominic » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:35 am

Howzit Barry! I'm originally from JHB and had similar licence issues when I converted my licence. I used to ride a kx125 along the jukskei river through posh Sandton and no one worried about it... it's a bit different here, you will see what I mean.

You should attend the club night and also look out for a ride posted up. Do you have a van or a trailer? I don't think too many rides start around your area so you may need to travel.

Dominic

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:14 pm

Hey Dominic

Nice that there is another Saffas around. I'm sure it's very different. I'm originally from CT and my Bundubashing was mostly Killarney MX track, fire roads and in the dunes surrounding Sandy Bay. Nice rewards after a hard day's riding.

I don't have a van, nor trailer, but that will come...

If the Club night is on 27 December, I'll be there.

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Postby mudeevee » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:16 pm

Hi Barry,

There is no club night in December (Jesus's birthday gets in the way). Next club night will be the 4th Tuesday in Jan (24th) and you would be made most welcome!

See you there!

Derek

MuddySully
400cc Thumper

Postby MuddySully » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:14 pm

Welcome Barry,

I agree a trailer will help, however there are a few of us in the Farnham, Frensham, Haslemere and Petersfield area so keep an eye on the forum for runs closer to you. You also have the option to attend Enduro practice days with the likes of Dirtwise UK, these are "Off road" sessions for bikes and riders of all levels and great fun and based in Bordon.

Peter.

stevent
1150 adventurer

Postby stevent » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:59 pm

Welcome Barry!

Dominic
500cc MXER

Postby Dominic » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:36 pm

ScruffyDroid wrote:Hey Dominic

Nice that there is another Saffas around. I'm sure it's very different. I'm originally from CT and my Bundubashing was mostly Killarney MX track, fire roads and in the dunes surrounding Sandy Bay. Nice rewards after a hard day's riding.

I don't have a van, nor trailer, but that will come...

If the Club night is on 27 December, I'll be there.

"Bundubashing" - I have not heard that phrase in a while! There was another Capetonian surfer type in the TRF - G-Bru - but he sold his bike... I think to take up playing the harp. Nice part of the world and where I would be living if the political situation were better. When you have your license sorted get in touch and we can hit some Surrey lanes.

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:30 pm

Thanks for the friendly replies. It took me a while to find this site. I live right next to the MOD tracks, which are ostensibly in Bagshot, off The Maultway. I've only ever seen trials events held there, and they pay around a Grand to rent it for the day!

MuddySully
400cc Thumper

Postby MuddySully » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:56 pm

Dirtwise charge about £45 for the day, with well laid out tracks and a few tricky bits thrown in for the committed.

https://www.dirtwiseuk.com/events/

Peter

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:37 am

Thanks Peter.

GDAS
LIFE member

Postby GDAS » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:31 am

ScruffyDroid wrote:Thanks for the friendly replies. It took me a while to find this site. I live right next to the MOD tracks, which are ostensibly in Bagshot, off The Maultway. I've only ever seen trials events held there, and they pay around a Grand to rent it for the day!

Welcome Barry,
the land at Bagshot has in the past been used for enduros but I think it's currently undergoing a two year rest period (from enduro - I think they still allow trials) to allow the land to recover from overuse.
It's worth also checking out the Lodden Vale group forum http://www.lvtrf.co.uk/forum/ there's a guy on there called RocketyRon who starts his trail rides from the American Golf shop at Bagshot
Graham

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:17 am

Thanks Graham

I recall that when I first moved to this area 3.5 years ago, "The Blue Light Offroad Club" had a couple of events here, but they seem to have "disappeared" - I don't do Facebook, so wouldn't know if they have migrated there...

The area is now very heavily used by dog(poop) walkers and parent-child walkers, but only on the same marked out tracks. Mountain bikers don't seem to use it much, probably due to the steep, rutted and loose gravel "vehicle" tracks.

It would be great if they started to allow Trail bikes back onto the unused "vehicle" tracks again.

Return to “Welcome New Members”