Timber Woods Long Distance Trial Sunday 25th September 2016

For all competitive riding such as enduros and hare & hounds
GDAS
LIFE member

Timber Woods Long Distance Trial Sunday 25th September 2016

Postby GDAS » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:54 pm

The Timber Woods LDT has been running for many years on Kent's byways, it's based at the idyllic Kent Gliding Club (TN25 4DR). Regs are now available (see attachment) but entry must be made via the ACU online website https://members.acu.org.uk/Secure/Events/Search.aspx

For those who are unfamiliar, a Long Distance Trial is typically a trail ride (60 - 90 miles) with some trials sections thrown in along the way. You are given a series of written instructions to follow - generally known as a Road Book or Route Card - which tell you where to go. Sometimes there will be arrows along the way to help you. The observed sections on some events are more serious than others, but the Timber Woods is generally a fairly enduro-bike-friendly course. You might not think that riding round some tight turns in first gear is very exciting, but if you follow extreme enduro (events such as the Romaniacs) you'll be aware that the top riders such as Graham Jarvis all come from a trials background.

If you're new to these events, there are a number of initial hoops to jump through, such as belonging to an ACU-affiliated motorcycle club (the TRF being a non-sporting club doesn't qualify), and having an ACU Trials licence. https://www.acu.org.uk/Uploaded/1/Docum ... ration.pdf (you need to be a member of an ACU-affiliated club before you can get a trials licence). Cost of club membership and trials licence is around £20 per year. The cost of entering an event is usually around £25 - £30.

Once you have your licence, there are lots of events you can enter, many of which give access to miles and miles of footpaths, bridleways, and other bits of private land, all with landowners' permission.

Some events have a tyre restriction, requiring you to have a trials tyre on the rear, and sometimes also the front. However the Timber Woods is pretty relaxed on this and doesn't seem to have any tyre restrictions.

If you're keen to give this a go but feel unsure about anything, I'm happy to answer any questions. Or PM me if you prefer.

Graham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gavinskii
400cc Thumper

Re: Timber Woods Long Distance Trial Sunday 25th September 2

Postby gavinskii » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:22 am

Great event this, I've done it for the last 2 years. It's reasonably straight forward and not too far away.
Sadly I can't make it this year.

smccormick
350cc Veteran

Re: Timber Woods Long Distance Trial Sunday 25th September 2

Postby smccormick » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:30 pm

I may well be up for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Competitive Riding & Events like Enduro/3 Stage Trials/ Events”