Bagshot 3-stage trial 14/04/2013

For all competitive riding such as enduros and hare & hounds
GDAS
LIFE member

Bagshot 3-stage trial 14/04/2013

Postby GDAS » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:33 am

Sadly the number of 3-stage trials seems to have declined in recent years and there are now only one or two each year in Surrey/Hants.

Requiring a mix of trials and enduro skills, the event is much more relaxed than an enduro, and generally attracts a wide range of trial, trail and enduro machinery.

You'll need a trials or FIM enduro tyre on the rear (no restriction on the front), plus you'll need to be a member of an ACU affiliated motorcyle club, and have an ACU licence of at least trials level (these are definitely worth getting if you're planning to enter long distance trials such as Witley, Sidcup Timber Woods, Swindonian).

See http://aldermaston-nomads.org/ for more info including the entry form.

The 3-stage format is a great way to enhance your bike handling skills in a relatively safe environment. The third stage is basically an enduro - you might be asked to ride 3 laps of a 6 mile course in 70 minutes. But by the time you get to stage 3, you will have lapped the course perhaps 4 times at a much slower pace as part of stages 1 & 2, doing some relatively straightforward trials sections along the way, and hence you'll be very familiar with the course.

kevpg
400cc Thumper

Re: Bagshot 3-stage trial 14/04/2013

Postby kevpg » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:29 pm

A timely post I think as I have just been trying to talk a few of the lads into entering this event, I also have my eye on the Timber woods and Swindonian, seems as though you had the same idea!
I entered the Croydon three stage a year or so ago and really enjoyed it. A great, no pressure, day out and a chance to ride some new terrain. It seems to me that you can just treat these events as a trail ride with a few more difficult sections to wobble round thrown in which can always be bypassed if you don't fancy them.

Have you entered a few of these and can you remind me of the minimum type of ACU licence one needs?

See you, and hopefully some other wobblers (like me) on the 14th.

Cheers
Kev

fallenmikethebike
250cc Trail Rider

Postby fallenmikethebike » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:37 pm

The licence required is a Trials licence. The amount of events you are likely to enter in the year will dictate whether you buy a £10 yearly licence, or a £2 one day licence.
+1 for the fun and learning curve involved for these types of events, some precision riding in the morning, and a hour of fast pace in the afternoon.
The event is won or lost in the morning session, but the blast around is an ear to ear grin of an hour.
The Swindonian used to be a fantastic event, but the last couple of times I entered it I was a little disappointed to be re-running quite a lot of the mornings route, which when you see the lanes available in that area is a little odd. If you have never ridden that area before it's well worth the entry fee, and they also get hold of some varied private land for the observed sections.
The optional bacon roll is very tasty and also worth booking.
Here's a list of events to be run through out the year.
http://www.eventdirectory.org.uk/
Mike

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Postby mudeevee » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Some synergy going on here!

Just had my entry form through (they used one of the SAE I sent with last years entry.
Last year was my first go at this type of event and it appears to be on its own in the south.
You will need to show club membership and ACU license on the day. Worth noting that Witley do a free membership, although full is only £18.

So, last year, same location. Plenty of riding, but it is not blatting around! Follow a course and have a go at the sections. Plenty of time for stage 1.
StAge 2 was a couple of laps, same sections, but more than one rider in a section at a time. Tighter time, but still do-able.
Stage 3. Ride right through the sections, 3 laps, limited time. Makes you go a lot quicker! But only if you want to.

Really good, laid back day with plenty of like minded people. Highly recommended.

Timber Woods. Ridden the last 2 years in this. Another good event, this time on roads and trails. The sections at the start were a bugger! Very wet weather and enough mud to keep a pile of pigs happy. Managed to fluff nearly all the opening sections! Rode round with Colin and we had a good day of it. You get to see some lovely parts of Kent and ride the best of the lanes in the area. Again, little or no pressure to push on, so you can ride at your own pace and stop for a quick lunch etc.

Both these events have team entries, so if anyone does want to hook up and form a STRF wobblers, let me know.

Tx

Derek

19col58
350cc Veteran

Postby 19col58 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Ditto all that's been said!

Don't think the A.C.U. do a one day licence anymore, there's certainly not any provision on the entry form, so anyone thinking of entering this will need to sort out A.C.U. Trials Registration. This is easy to do online but you do need to send photos by post and be a member of an affiliated club so get your finger out!

Colin

kevpg
400cc Thumper

Postby kevpg » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:02 pm

Getting a team together seems a good idea!
Kev

GDAS
LIFE member

Postby GDAS » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:46 pm

the problem I've got is that the Cheltenham Home Guard MCC Sphinx long distance trial is on the same day, two cracking events to choose between! Might have to toss a coin....

@fallenmikethebike - I fear that eventdirectory.org.uk appears to be rather neglected. Brian Sussex handed it over to Rob Drake many months ago and I don't think it's being updated, which is a shame.

I've entered the Braintree LDT that was mentioned in the latest Trail mag, regs are here http://www.braintree-mcc.co.uk/StistedLDTRegs2013.pdf

Sidcup don't appear to be running their May LDT this year, not sure why not, but the Timber Woods is scheduled on the 28th July.

Graham

19col58
350cc Veteran

Postby 19col58 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi Derek, I sent you a PM last week, I guess you didn't see it for some reason (probably something to do with my IT skills!)

Kev and I have both sent off individual entries, so feel free to enter as a team with anyone else who may want to wobble round with you. Not much interest being shown on the forum so you may end up as a Billy No Mates like Kev and I!

I'll Email this to you as well.
Laters
Colin

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Postby mudeevee » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi Colin & Kev,
I have PM'd ya both................
Tx
D

gavinskii
400cc Thumper

Postby gavinskii » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Derek,

Just sent off my entry today, would be good to team up with other novices if poss :?

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Postby mudeevee » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:10 pm

I've sent entry off and a note requesting that Colin, Kev, Gavin and I have similar start times and if possible, enter as a team (Surrey TRF Wobblers).

Cheers, Derek

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Postby mudeevee » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:51 pm

Had entry back today. Christine has put the 4 of us together. Colin's number had been set, but she has changed it so we all start together. My start No is 29

Cheers

Derek

Return to “Competitive Riding & Events like Enduro/3 Stage Trials/ Events”