Pathfinder Trial 29 April

For all competitive riding such as enduros and hare & hounds
IIISHORTYIII
125cc L Plates

Re: Pathfinder Trial 29 April

Postby IIISHORTYIII » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:49 pm

HI Guys

i am really interested in this event,

i have literally done minimal trail riding but really fancy it, only just started going out with you lot on the lanes and hoping to get a lot more outings in before the event, but am aware its filling up fast and i don't want to miss out if i could actually do it.

to cut to the chase is this event a bit of a no go for complete beginners?

Thanks
Ben

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Postby mudeevee » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:05 pm

IIISHORTYIII wrote:HI Guys

i am really interested in this event,

i have literally done minimal trail riding but really fancy it, only just started going out with you lot on the lanes and hoping to get a lot more outings in before the event, but am aware its filling up fast and i don't want to miss out if i could actually do it.

to cut to the chase is this event a bit of a no go for complete beginners?

Thanks
Ben

It is not a ‘no go’ at all. The event was originally setup as a training element for military riders.

The ‘three stages’ of the event test different skills on the same circuit. Stage one gives plenty of time but has slightly more challenging trials sections. Definitely a good training experience for newbies.

Stages 2&3 become tighter on time, but the sections are opened up more on each stage.

Stage 3 is tougher as the sections require Simply to ride through the start gate. However time is much reduced requiring a quicker ride on the going.

On my first 3 stage, I only managed to complete stage 1 (with huge penalty score) and part of stage 2. I was knackered! But smiling hugely.

Learnt loads
Challenging
Great company, met loads of people at the event.

So, give it a go! Don’t worry about completing all stages - you won’t be alone!

Bush Pig
350cc Veteran

Postby Bush Pig » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:21 pm

Ben,

Enter it and enjoy the day. Nothing too difficult, you can always by-pass a stage if you want. There are tight sections for trail bikes but nothing to scare anyone. The second and third stages are faster, on the third stage ride at your own pace. There is no pressure to 'go faster' , stop and let the faster boys through if you hear someone up your exhaust pipe.

John

costamattyb
250cc Trail Rider

Postby costamattyb » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:09 pm

Do you have to be a TRF member or member of the trials club to enter?

My friend wants to enter but has noticed on the terms it says you have to be a member of a club but I’m sure I read you don’t have to be?

Thanks

Matt

Dominic
500cc MXER

Postby Dominic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:59 am

You need an ACU licence and to get one of those you need to be affiliated to a club.... in this case TRF counts as a club. There are a list of clubs on the ACU website. Pretty sure that's how it works but maybe someone can correct me.

nick_m
250cc Trail Rider

Postby nick_m » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:10 am

Hi,

Total newbie to trail riding here!

Did an off-road course late last year to teach the basics and have now bought a bike.

Always being one that is up for a challenge, and having read the above posts, I have entered this event as a Trail Novice.

Hoping to get out for some lane riding with you guys before then to get accustomed to my new steed and take in as much experience as I can before the event.

Worst case I see the event as a chance to watch follow and learn!

ShaunGASGAS300

Postby ShaunGASGAS300 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:06 pm

Dominic wrote:You need an ACU licence and to get one of those you need to be affiliated to a club.... in this case TRF counts as a club. There are a list of clubs on the ACU website. Pretty sure that's how it works but maybe someone can correct me.

I don't believe TRF is counted as a club.. unless changed recently.

Basically, you become part of a local club (I am Whitley MCC and pay a yearly fee (Normally about £10) then you sign up for an ACU licence (£10 for trials, £40 if you want to enter Enduro events)

When you sign up for Whitley, they will send you a code that you use when signing up for ACU.

There are other clumbs,
Croydon MCC
Kingston & District MCC
Normandy MCC
Witley & District MCC
SETRA
Carshalton MCC.

Basically, see the link below for a list of the local area clubs
http://www.seecenduro.co.uk/clubs.html

gavinskii
400cc Thumper

Postby gavinskii » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:34 pm

Dominic wrote:You need an ACU licence and to get one of those you need to be affiliated to a club.... in this case TRF counts as a club. There are a list of clubs on the ACU website. Pretty sure that's how it works but maybe someone can correct me.

Dominic, perfect advice.
The TRF is now recognised as an ACU club, so providing you are a TRF member, all you need is an ACU licence which costs £10 a year.

Naturally if one wants to get more involved in events it might be worth joining a local club as they often have land you can use at a very reasonable cost + lots of other benefits and support.

Strongbow
400cc Thumper

Postby Strongbow » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:58 pm

kevpg wrote:Surrey TRF in full partnership with Aldermaston Nomads MCC will be holding their 3 Stage Pathfinder Trial again in 2018.

Sunday 29 April 2018.

Venue Deepcut Bagshot

What is a 3 Stage Trial?

Held on private land this event is a nice mix of forestry and open going, and was originally devised as a test of rider control and stamina for Army dispatch riders, its now the last of its type still running.

Stage 1: 2 laps of around 4 miles with trials sections aimed at the trail/enduro bike rider and a special speed test, you get 2 hours to ride this.

Stage 2: 2 laps again but the sections are eased a little, you get 1 1/2 hours to get around.

Stage 3: 2 laps for novices and 3 for experts, sections are pretty much removed, just the start gate to go through and you get 1 hour to ride this.

We had a really good TRF turn out last year, 30 + riders from a full entry of 115 and we hope to have at least the same this year. We are aiming to make the course as trail bike friendly as possible this year and will be pushing hard to get as many other TRF group members entering as possible.

If you dont fancy entering then please help us out on the day as a observer or marshal, we always need lots of bodies!

Online entry this year via ACU website, entries open March 7th. ACU licence available for £3.00 on the day or you can get a yearly one through the TRF for £10.00 email - [email protected] for code.

Kev

Here are a few comments form last years entrants:

Great day out and well organised - thanks to all the people that organise and make these things happen.
My first event on a bike of any sort, bloody knackered and I ache all over but a lot of fun. :D
John

Big thanks to all those that made it happen! Thoroughly enjoyed the day and loved the format. I don't think I digraced myself or the Surrey TRF. Cheers lads.
Mark.

I'll second that Greg. For my 1st competitive motorcycle event it was great. We'll run, challenging when needed and nicely quick at the end. Thanks to all the TRF members who marshalled and made it possible.
James

Those of you who took part in the Pathfinder at Deepcut just over a week ago will have no doubt enjoyed yourselves. It's a very sociable event, and it's all about learning to safely ride a course more quickly than you might have originally thought was possible. In my view, it mixes Trials and Enduro in such a way that there's something for everyone.

A couple of years ago, the Pathfinder was close to joining the other 3-stagers - entries were in decline, costs from Landmarc were increasing, the club's officials were getting older. Step forward Kevin Greening, with his boundless enthusiasm, and a gang of merry Surrey TRFers, and two years later they were having to declare the entry full at around 110, turning people away.

So I'd like to offer my sincere thanks to Kevin, and all who have helped out this year and last, for reviving this local event. Long may it continue.
Graham

ACU Licence £ 3.00 on the day.

stevent
1150 adventurer

Postby stevent » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:16 am

ShaunGASGAS300 wrote:
I don't believe TRF is counted as a club.. unless changed recently.

TRF is now affiliated to ACU...

When you renew you will get a membership card like this, with the ACU logo

You still need to “activate” the ACU bit by emailing Sharon and parting with a bit more cash or as Strongbow says, £3 on the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevpg
400cc Thumper

Postby kevpg » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:43 pm

Chaps,

Thanks for posting up all this good advice, nice to see such enthusiasm for this event, it must be catching!

To clarify, yes you can buy a ACU day licence, £3.00 cash on the day, or if you think you will enter more of these events over the year then buy a annual licence for £10 using you newly acquired TRF/ACU affiliation, as posted by Steve T.

Entries for the event are going well, around 75 so far, max 100, so get registered if you want to ride, and you should, it's a great day out with something for all standards of rider. The chance to ride a good local single track course all on private land shouldn't be missed,and if you don't fancy riding then please volunteer to help on the day, we always need bodies!

Cheers
Kev

costamattyb
250cc Trail Rider

Postby costamattyb » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:28 pm

I’m all entered but do I need my TRF card on the day as I can’t find it anywhere?

Matt

Return to “Competitive Riding & Events like Enduro/3 Stage Trials/ Events”