KTM 690 Enduro

Talk about anything.
CRH
250cc Trail Rider

KTM 690 Enduro

Postby CRH » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Does anyone own / ride / ridden a KTM 690 Enduro?

Is it really a good ‘do it all bike’? I would like a bike I can ride offroad / trail ride, commute and use it for the odd bat around the country lane. I am asking a lot… Is the answer to this, two bikes?

I am waying up the pros and cons of running my commuter and WR250R. I really like the wr off road, but when I have needed to commute on it I have missed the grunt and not enjoyed the morning battle. I think I really need to own / run just one bike – money and time are both a concern at the moment. Should I stick with the WR and accept the commute.

What are you thoughts?

Billy
woz bus pass

Re: KTM 690 Enduro

Postby Billy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:24 am

Good bike for a good rider,are you a good rider?

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:27 am

steve braham wrote:Good bike for a good rider,are you a good rider?

This is a fair question.

I am crap off-road on my bigger bike (see avatar thingy) but OK on my little bike. I lack the body mass to properly steer the big bike off-road when the conditions get a bit gnarly. The 690 is awesome and a good compromise but from my experience you need to be a bigger / better rider to handle a larger machine properly off-road.

Did I make sense?

CRH
250cc Trail Rider

Postby CRH » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Fair points!

I have put a few pounds on over christmas, but not enough to make up for my lack of off roading skill...

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:10 pm

I know a bloke who uses his 690 for enduros,he is not big ,but is a good rider.Wheres John ? He will tel you all you need to know.

newsh
350cc Veteran

Postby newsh » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Here I am!
The 690E is a lovely bike and it will do everything you want it to, I had the R version with the orange frame and blingy bits, yum 8-) The only reservations for me were that the seat was as uncomfortable as my 450 and the front brake was a bit grabby, both of these are easy fix items I guess, comfy gel seat and organic pads would do it. So basically a big-ish bike, great on the road and off road as long as it's not too tricky (didn't like going up Gibbet Hill did it Steve ;) ) but not much more comfy than an enduro bike, much longer between oil changes and services though.. I think I would still have it but got offered a PX for a 950 SE, 250ccs more, V twin soundtrack, great balance and tall for my 6'5", surprisingly good off road as some here will testify and comfy with it. Oh yeah and cruises at 80 with 100 a quick twist away (as long as you can afford the tyres!)

newsh
350cc Veteran

Postby newsh » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:33 am

Alternatively check out my 990 in the for sale section!
:D

CRH
250cc Trail Rider

Postby CRH » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:56 pm

Thanks for the thoughts...

I was very tempted by a 990 SMT during the summer, so I'm not looking at your for sale ad! Well not right now.

stevent
1150 adventurer

Postby stevent » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:19 pm

Chris

Like you I can only run one bike. I love commuting on my WR250R! What exactly are you missing? I haven't had a bigger bike though (plenty of time for that), so I guess I don't know what I'm missing... have you changed your gearing? The stock gearing is really high, I've changed mine down from 13/43 to 12/50 (and can still get it up to 75mph), have you tried that?

Thinking about our cobweb run to Hindhead; I reckon you might find the 690 a real handful on the trickier lanes. Not talking from experience but just what others have said about ideal size of trail bike.

S.

CRH
250cc Trail Rider

Postby CRH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi Steven,

I've been thinking about the Hindhead run the last few days. It was a good days riding. I did enjoy Gibbets Hill. Can't wait to do this in the sunshine.

I did notice as soon as we hit the A3 you blasted off, it was a fairly miserable end to a great day. I was so cold and wet when I got home I only just managed to get my boots off! Lesson learnt - Dont get stuck in big puddles / wear over the boot trousers.

I have been mulling over the WR250 and in fairness I haven't really given it a proper go on the roads. I like it offroad and feel comfortable on it. I haven't fiddled with it at all, so the gearing and exhaust are options.

This winter has pounded my everyday bike and now is the time to sell it on / trade it in, which is what got my thinking. That and the fact that a 690 was for sale at PH. The 690 was the first offroad bike I rode and loved it. I completed an introduction to offroad riding with Desert Rose down in Sussex. A brilliant day and highly recommended. However judging by the bike Patsy at Desert Rose has for sale it must have been heavily modified. I know the Dakar has influenced my thinking. I love the look of the 690 in full rally prep mode.

I'm coming to the conclusion to spend a bit more time with the WR and then have a think perhaps next winter or this time next year.

Chris

Return to “General Discussion”