Off The Kerb

Talk about anything.
NigelC
350cc Veteran

Off The Kerb

Postby NigelC » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:59 pm

A guy from work wanted to try some trails riding, haveing previously had a session at Tricks in the Sticks on a trials bike.

There were about 7 of is in all. I went along on my TTR.

It all started at their base on Curtis Road Industrial Estate on the western edge of Dorking one-way system…

Once everyone was kitted up – a sight to behold! Pete gave an intro to the bikes, starting and gear change suggestions, use of the choke (remember those?) and then on to some basic pointers on off-road riding, all carried out at the compound.

We then went for a road loop around Dorking to give everyone a chance to get a feel for the bikes and their controls before heading off to a small field round the corner from their compound, where we completed several laps of a small loop track that has been worn in the grass. After a little slalom test on the track we then went to the adjacent field where they’ve built a ‘hill’, no more than about 6 feet high, allowing some practice taking the bikes up and down inclines.

We then set-off for the morning ride to Bockets Farm, then Polesdon Lacy and on to Ranmore and then eventually down London Lane. We stopped for lunch at the Wotton Hatch, where they tolerated our muddy boots and thankfully supplied lots of water, as it had been hot and thirsty work. Everyone had coped extremely well with the morning ride with one of the less confident guys very wisely opting to skip the last section, which was down London Lane into Shere. We had earlier stopped at the top of Beggars Lane but done a U-turn, but there are fewer options to skip that one, where as there is a nice road alternative to London Lane.

The afternoon continued with Wolvens lane then past the bottom of Leith Hill and on down to Walliswood, Pisley Lane and Green Lane where we came across the ford.

Everyone got through without a dunking, which TBH was a bit disappointing! :D

It was my first outing in my new Knox Action Shirt and allowed me to give my TRF shirt an airing!

The bikes are the original Fantic 250 casa's with carbs and TBH, were a bit finickity. However, they are soon to be upgraded to the newer Fi versions. Off The Kerb are also planning to open another location over in Hampshire 'somewhere', so expanding the range of trails over which they operate .
Nigel TT250R Cooper

Billy
woz bus pass

Re: Off The Kerb

Postby Billy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:22 pm

They wanted to come to the longest day but someone didn’t want them there . I personally think it’s a good way to introduce people to trail riding/ TRF.

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:23 pm

Nice post Nigel.

Are they going to join the TRF?
Beta Xtrainer 300 :roll:
Honda CRF230F :oops:
ex-Kawasaki KDX220R (now sold to a fellow TRF Member) :mrgreen:

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:41 pm

ScruffyDroid wrote:Nice post Nigel.

They recommend the TRF to their customers .

Gary s
400cc Thumper

Postby Gary s » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:51 pm

Billy wrote:
ScruffyDroid wrote:Nice post Nigel.

They recommend the TRF to their customers .

I went out with them as a birthday gift, caught the bug and you have had to put up with me ever since! It’s also surprising how many others you come across in the club who have also been out with them.

HuskyAndy
250cc Trail Rider

Postby HuskyAndy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:22 pm

Well done Nigel, and well said Billy.

PippaB
350cc Veteran

Postby PippaB » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:14 pm

Awesome post and on our doorstep too...is this one Andy you wanted me to go on to try out the Fantics and I changed my mind cos I love my Husky too much ? :D

NigelC
350cc Veteran

Postby NigelC » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:16 pm

Yeah Gary, there's always a downside to these things! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nigel TT250R Cooper

mudplugger
350cc Veteran

Postby mudplugger » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:41 am

Great positive post well done Nigel

Stewie
1150 adventurer

Postby Stewie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:46 am

Always here good things about OTK, and if their are pointing folk towards the TRF all the better.
Thanks for taking the time to post up a good ride report.
Off the beaten track!.

Return to “General Discussion”