Tyre selection

Using something that's clearly worth talking about? Share it.
Rickypdq
125cc L Plates

Tyre selection

Postby Rickypdq » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:27 pm

First post on here so go easy. ;) I’m based in the Surrey hills close to madgehole lane so I’m learning the lanes as I go.. I’ve a 98 xr250 which needs a new rear tyre. At present it is a Michelin enduro medium 140-80 18. I need to change it soon. as I do a fair bit of tarmac as well as the lanes is there a tyre better suited . Also can / should I put a smaller tyre on the back. Looking to keep the cost down as I’ve only just started riding and may give up at the end of the summer, I can’t get the hang of it....

silvergull
400cc Thumper

Re: Tyre selection

Postby silvergull » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:18 am

Hi, and welcome. Always controversial , but here are a few suggestions. You could fit a 120 or 130 tyre, for mixed use around your area, you could try a Michelin AC10, old school but quite durable, and road legal, and being older design , quite low priced On an older 250 they can last a long time. also maybe Pirelli mt43, this only comes I think in a 400 width, but these are good on the road, and can be grippy too in most conditions. Quite soft, they can wear fast. Or a Metzeler 6 days extreme, legal, grippy and hard wearing, but rough on tarmac. lastly maybe a Pirelli XC 32 mid Hard. a dual compound tyre, legal, and a
all these can be bought at GTC in Shalford. Personally I would avoid the mousse route, ( illegal on the tarmac) and go for an ultra Hd michelin tube , 4 mm thick. Best of luck, it may be can of worms has just been opened !
Beano: Appears on a Wednesday

Stewie
1150 adventurer

Postby Stewie » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:24 am

Just put a Maxxis It ( Maxcross It 7304 and 7305 ) on the back and then one on the front when you need great road manners even on wet tarmac, put a 120 on the rear,,
Motoward does pair deals.
If you're looking more 50/50 then the K60 or the MC23 will last longer than the bike.. :lol:
Just fitted MC23 to KTM690, run the K60s on the KTM990 and fitting Maxxis IT's to the KTM525 for a 2k trip around France.
Tyres are different for everyone, I've used most out there from top price to budget, and found the IT to be the best all round trail tyre, if your planning on Enduro or H&H have a look at the Maxxis Enduro Pro sticks like week old porridge but won't last on tarmac.
Hello and welcome 8-)
Off the beaten track!.

Rickypdq
125cc L Plates

Postby Rickypdq » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:17 pm

silvergull wrote:Hi, and welcome. Always controversial , but here are a few suggestions. You could fit a 120 or 130 tyre, for mixed use around your area, you could try a Michelin AC10, old school but quite durable, and road legal, and being older design , quite low priced On an older 250 they can last a long time. also maybe Pirelli mt43, this only comes I think in a 400 width, but these are good on the road, and can be grippy too in most conditions. Quite soft, they can wear fast. Or a Metzeler 6 days extreme, legal, grippy and hard wearing, but rough on tarmac. lastly maybe a Pirelli XC 32 mid Hard. a dual compound tyre, legal, and a
all these can be bought at GTC in Shalford. Personally I would avoid the mousse route, ( illegal on the tarmac) and go for an ultra Hd michelin tube , 4 mm thick. Best of luck, it may be can of worms has just been opened !

TonyR
400cc Thumper

Postby TonyR » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:45 pm

+1 for Maxxis

Rickypdq
125cc L Plates

Postby Rickypdq » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:51 pm

silvergull wrote:Hi, and welcome. Always controversial , but here are a few suggestions. You could fit a 120 or 130 tyre, for mixed use around your area, you could try a Michelin AC10, old school but quite durable, and road legal, and being older design , quite low priced On an older 250 they can last a long time. also maybe Pirelli mt43, this only comes I think in a 400 width, but these are good on the road, and can be grippy too in most conditions. Quite soft, they can wear fast. Or a Metzeler 6 days extreme, legal, grippy and hard wearing, but rough on tarmac. lastly maybe a Pirelli XC 32 mid Hard. a dual compound tyre, legal, and a

Slvergull thanks for your response I've been trying all day to reply to you and stewie but my iPhone wouldn't let me. What would be the benefit of a smaller tyre?
I take on board what you say about mousses.
What does 400 width mean?
Thanks for your help much apreciated

Rickypdq
125cc L Plates

Postby Rickypdq » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:02 pm

Stewie wrote:Just put a Maxxis It ( Maxcross It 7304 and 7305 ) on the back and then one on the front when you need great road manners even on wet tarmac, put a 120 on the rear,,
Motoward does pair deals.
If you're looking more 50/50 then the K60 or the MC23 will last longer than the bike.. :lol:
Just fitted MC23 to KTM690, run the K60s on the KTM990 and fitting Maxxis IT's to the KTM525 for a 2k trip around France.
Tyres are different for everyone, I've used most out there from top price to budget, and found the IT to be the best all round trail tyre, if your planning on Enduro or H&H have a look at the Maxxis Enduro Pro sticks like week old porridge but won't last on tarmac.
Hello and welcome 8-)

Stewie I appreciate you taking time to respond, I tried to reply on my iPhone but I kept getting told to log in and I already was...
I looked on moto ward site but I could only find 1 tyre, very frustrating web site.
I suppose I should buy them and fit myself as I've not changed a tyre yet so I need the practise. I looked at all the tyres you have kindly suggested and I think the maxxis sound about right. Thanks again for your time.

Rickypdq
125cc L Plates

Postby Rickypdq » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:03 pm

TonyR wrote:+1 for Maxxis

Yep sounds good to me thanks

silvergull
400cc Thumper

Postby silvergull » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi, 400 refers to the imperial width, so a 400 is approx 4" which in turn is about a 100 to 110 metric. no idea why the Pirelli mt43 is still sized that way. Using a narrower tyre can give you more grip in certain conditions, and are more interchangeable with other bikes if you wanted to re- use the tyre that way. But you need really to match fhe rim width to tyre size, to get the optimum profile. I think an xr 250 will take a 120 width . GTC will fit them for you. Its a very personal choice, with much experimentation needed. cheers bc
Beano: Appears on a Wednesday

Stewie
1150 adventurer

Postby Stewie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:39 pm

For some unknown reason knobblies are measured differently a 120 will be fine for your XR.
Most tyre fitters with machines tend to stay away from tube type tyres, if you ring Motoward I'm sure Martin will sort you out, he normally has stock in that's not on his website, either way I'm sure he'll help if he can, not sure but I think he can fit them, but it's a good skill to have so get some practice before you head out.
Maybe we could put another demo on club night, I sometimes do one on a newbie run.
Off the beaten track!.

19col58
350cc Veteran

Postby 19col58 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:34 pm

If you go for AC10s then beware of the sizes! I'm not 100% sure about this but I think there are two different ways of measuring a metric tyre, the one used on Michelin AC10s measures across the carcass of the tyre. The other one, used on Michelin Enduros measures across the tread. So a 120 section AC10 will be wider than a 120 section Michelin Enduro. As I said I'm not sure of the reasons but I am sure that AC10s measure wider than other tyres of the same stated size. Also AC10 fronts are alleged to be bordering on dangerous, the rears are great but are not FIM approved so can't be used on events such as the Pathfinder 3 Stage Trial.

At the end of the day all tyre choices are a compromise, you've just got to make your choice! :?

Colin

Rickypdq
125cc L Plates

Postby Rickypdq » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:57 pm

19col58 wrote:If you go for AC10s then beware of the sizes! I'm not 100% sure about this but I think there are two different ways of measuring a metric tyre, the one used on Michelin AC10s measures across the carcass of the tyre. The other one, used on Michelin Enduros measures across the tread. So a 120 section AC10 will be wider than a 120 section Michelin Enduro. As I said I'm not sure of the reasons but I am sure that AC10s measure wider than other tyres of the same stated size. Also AC10 fronts are alleged to be bordering on dangerous, the rears are great but are not FIM approved so can't be used on events such as the Pathfinder 3 Stage Trial.

At the end of the day all tyre choices are a compromise, you've just got to make your choice! :?

Colin

Blimey don't say that I'm about to buy one on eBay 12 mins left £15 bid

Return to “Kit Recommendations”