KTM SMC 625 Supermoto

Using something that's clearly worth talking about? Share it.
Stewie
1150 adventurer

Re: KTM SMC 625 Supermoto

Postby Stewie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:26 pm

Sporadic_kit wrote:If I could find a decent 690r i'd buy it but cannot find one anywhere and will need a bike soon to commute to new job.

I don't know the bike, but looks good :D .
http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... -bike.html
Off the beaten track!.

Sporadic_kit
125cc L Plates

Postby Sporadic_kit » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:56 am

I got the 625 at the weekend. Nice bike. Lots of power. Fast. I got it up to 105 mph (on my private runway of course :D) but not comfortable at all on that bike over 80 mph. It will definitely benefit from a smaller front sprocket for better acceleration so i'll be changing the front sprocket from a 17T to a 15T.

Im still really in two minds about the tyre situation though. The bike will be used 90% on road to get me to work and back. I used to ride on the road with dual purpose tyres on a DT125 and I came off a couple of times (at low speeds) in the wet because the enduro tyres just lost traction and the bike slipped away from under me. This is something I really really want to avoid happening again. I would imagine that the problem would be much worse with so much more power. I wouldn't feel safe on it cornering in the wet...

I have ridden off road on slicks before and it was a complete nightmare in the wet. I guess my best option here is to only do trails when its warm and dry on slicks and see how I get on. If it gets too much (or the first time I come off it on a trail because of the slicks) I can invest in a new set of wheels and put some propper off road tyres on them.

Any recommendations for barely road legal tyres that are meant mostly for offroad?

Hope to see you all at the next meet :)

Stewie
1150 adventurer

Postby Stewie » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:55 pm

I'm not sure how long ago you had your off's but I've been hanging off my bike with K60 silica's on, so much so if there any water on the black stuff for my commute, out comes the 50/50 tyres ;) .
That said I wouldn't be putting 50/50 on a 17'' more like a 80/20 such as a set of Scorpion Trails that will cope with dry lanes with ease :D .
But as said the best way is a second set of wheels with caliper extenders :D .
Off the beaten track!.

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:38 pm

Those scorpion trails aren't bad. I've been using them on the beemer. Had a few moments in mud trying to get up a hill but managed it with a run up. Will probably stick to them as they are pretty damn good on the road too! Would probably put them as 70/30

I'm also very fond of Conti's tyres. They're bloody cheap and very very good on the trails and still good on the road. About 50/50

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:39 pm

625 is nice I had a 660smc - awful bike for commuting not comfortable at all above 70mph - lots of vibrations through the foot pegs - not impressed felt like my feet had gone to sleep! But 0-60 was fun!!!

Return to “Kit Recommendations”