Gas Gas EC 250 problems starting

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
AJAG
125cc Novice

Postby AJAG » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:02 pm

Hello all,

I have been having a few issues starting my Gas Gas EC 250 sometimes it starts right away, but most of the time I have to kick it quite a bit (or just start it while going downhill).

The bike has never been the easiest to start. Last Sunday I went green lanning and had to cut it short after stopping to lunch since the bike would not start again. It took at least 30 minutes of kicking it to get it going again.

Here are more details:

- Since Sunday until today, the bike has spilled fuel through one of the hoses attached to the carbs. I turn the fuel tap off and the leak stops. The hose is attached to the carb and then to nothing else so seems like a overfill hose. After a while, it stops doing it.
- After starting the bike, it will turn off if not paying attention. I tried playing a bit with the idle speed screw but has not made much difference.
- After we got the bike going again we decided to call it a day and go back home using the regular roads. While accelerating the bike felt like it had some fuelling issues. I was not going at top speed at all but it felt like every so often the fuel would not make it to the engine.
- The mix is correct at 50:1

Any ideas? Would it be something as simple as the Carb being dirty? I am hoping it is not something very complicated.

Regards,
Alejandro

G-Bru
You should've bought a KTM!

Postby G-Bru » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:43 pm

From what you have explained it sounds like your float is stuck in the open position, hence the fuel escaping from the overflow hose on the carb. Could be dirt stopping the needle from closing or a damaged seal on float needle. Either way its flooding your carb which is why its difficult to start.
Your gonna want to get the bowl off the carb and give it a thorough clean. Remove the floats and inspect the rubber seal on the needle, if there are any signs of wear get it replaced. Whilst your in there set the floats to the correct height (You will find loads of information on how to do this for your carb model either via Google or good ol YouTube!)

When your done reward yourself with a beer and get back out roosting!

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”