Points if you spot it

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
Dave
250cc

Points if you spot it

Postby Dave » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:36 pm

Here's a clutch basket and boss off'f a YZ250. Points go to the person that spots the most serious problem of which there are 3 clearly visible.

Fleegle
350cc Veteran

Re: Points if you spot it

Postby Fleegle » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:00 pm

The only one I can see (limited knowledge) is how badly ridged the basket is.

That's beyond tickling with a file..... that's fooked

The problem with it in that condition is it will make the clutch really grabby and a bit like an on/off switch

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:24 pm

What your describing is the only reason I delved into my clutch box in the first place. When I drained the oil and it was silver I knew there was an issue.

Was gonna take out the basket and have a new oem boss and talon basket whacked in by a pro, but NOOO!

You see that smaller gear attached to the boss? That gap shouldn't be there, it should be flush. To compensate for this royal cock up of mechanics from a cerebrally challenged welsh 'mechanic' he placed a washer between the boss and the basket.

Was great when I got it. Couldn't tell, and who takes a clutch cover off when buying a bike?

Rode it for two days, the washer was ground down and everything went out of alignment. The basket was grinding on the boss and he bearing inside the boss was knackered as well, jammed in there solid!

Seriously considering posting these parts back to him but I don't think his window has a separate postal address.

Just found out yesterday from the fella putting in a new boss and basket that, to further compensate in the other direction of the demented bodge job, the push rod which extends from the small internal/external lever the clutch cable is attached to, has been ground down to accommodate the shagged boss's size. As a result the small internal lever has been malformed and also needs replacing along with the pushrod so everything works correctly and fits together as it should.

I'll post pics of them later.

The WR i got from devon was ace, except for needing new bearings in linkage and swingarm... but can't win them all I guess when playing the 2nd hand market. Bastards won the rugby too!

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:42 pm

Bite the bullet and buy a KTM, you know it makes sense.........................

Fleegle
350cc Veteran

Postby Fleegle » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:26 pm

steve braham wrote:Bite the bullet and buy a KTM, you know it makes sense.........................

Baaaaa

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:39 am

Oh yeah I totally forgot that old KTMs are immune bad ownership.

19col58
350cc Veteran

Postby 19col58 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:22 pm

The most serious problem I can see is the (badly bitten) fingernail is not dirty enough!

I reckon the "cerebrally challenged Welsh mechanic" did pretty well to get it working well enough to sell it on!
You've got to accept that any bike, including KTM, if its been used hard, is going to need work somewhere. Thats usually why they're being sold.

19col58
350cc Veteran

Postby 19col58 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:22 pm

The most serious problem I can see is the (badly bitten) fingernail is not dirty enough!

I reckon the "cerebrally challenged Welsh mechanic" did pretty well to get it working well enough to sell it on!
You've got to accept that any bike, including KTM, if its been used hard, is going to need work somewhere. Thats usually why they're being sold.

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Dont care what you say you will eventually buy a KTM. For now you are going to use a bike specifically designed for motocross (2x45 minute sessions a day then a complete rebuild once a month) to ride all day on,say 6/7 hours riding, how long is that gonna last.Been there,done it on a YZ 125 many years ago, they are not designed to be ridden all day................

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:01 pm

Steve, you are correct of course.

Colin, I was thinking the same. The bike lasted 1 whole day before it started showing symptoms.

javi
120cc Thumpstar Pro

Postby javi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Looks fine to me. Who needs a clutch anyway... just keep it pinned in 5th gear :p

BTW, disconnect the brakes too just for fun. :lol:

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”