Issue with DRZ radiator

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
Ares
250cc Trail Rider

Issue with DRZ radiator

Postby Ares » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Hello there,

I fell off my DRZ400 last week, the impact pushed the radiator screw inside and this opened a hole. I ordered a new pair from China but when I went to put the new radiators on realized that the stupid chinesse manufacurer did not drill holes for the thermostats so the fan wont go off! The RAC came and fixed the original hole in the radiator with quick steel and k-seal but it did lose 3 columns with the impact. Im expecting some radiator guards that should arrive Friday, I will put them on if they arrive but just dont know if the bike will take it without overheating. The RAC wont assist me if I have the same problem. What do you think I should do? Should I ride anyway this weekend? I cant wait to go out again but dont want to burn the bike.

Thank you for your help.

Al

Dave
250cc

Re: Issue with DRZ radiator

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:47 pm

Sounds like they sent you radiators for different model? Did you order through eBay? PayPal protection is exactly for situations like this.

I don't have intimate knowledge of your bike but I'd bet its safe to ride without the fan.

It's probably installed for a hotter climate and sitting at traffic lights. As long as you don't sit with the engine running for longer than 5 (which is longer than you think) mins you should be fine.

It took about 5 or 6 mins for the water in my rads to start boiling on the WR; just sitting doing some work on the electrics.
Riding will be no problem because air will be flowing over the rads.

Probably someone knows better than me.

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:32 am

The DRZ "E" doesn't have a fan and I've only ever boiled mine once and that was when I left it ticking over for ages while sorting something on someone else's bike.

There is a UK company that does very nice rebuilds on rads for reasonable money. I'm sure someone on here has used them, try a search of the forum.

It's funny how loads of riders buy rad-guards AFTER they've crushed one.

Hope you get it sorted quick.

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:55 am

Nice. So there ya go Arez, just whack them on and forget about the fan for now ;)

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:47 am

Foundit !!

A few boys have used these people http://www.gmxradiators.co.uk and have given great feedback.

kentWR
250cc Trail Rider

Postby kentWR » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Chinese parts :roll: never the same quality. I would have got the original repaired or found a good second hand one on ebay.

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”