KTM 450 EXC 2006 Braking Advice

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
Corky78
350cc Veteran

KTM 450 EXC 2006 Braking Advice

Postby Corky78 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Out this weekend just gone and was not really feeling much braking from the rear and a noise from the front.

On investigations, looks like my rear disc has had it - many areas are worn right down and the pads looks like they're past it too. Front looks OK bar the retaining springs looking rustier than an old drain pipe but decided to give both the calipers a complete overhaul, new fluids and invest in new pads and discs front & rear and hope that sorts the problems.

Been browsing and original parts are crazy prices (£85-90 a disc and £40 for one caliper in pads!). EBC pads are £18 a pair and I've found some UK manufactured pattern discs (Race Discs) for £33 each.

Before I go and blow a hundred or so quid on parts, anyone got any advice as to what makes I should use or what you have used before in the past successfully/unsuccessfully?

Any feedback would be most welcome.

Cheers
Corky

KTM 450 EXC 2006

Dave
250cc

Re: KTM 450 EXC 2006 Braking Advice

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:04 pm

Sintered pads of any sort should provide adequate braking.

Whilst I can't really recommend any brands it's worth noting that sometimes the pads come in different grades. Some provide immense braking potential at the expense of wearing down fast. Some of the Goldfren pads I used to use when I to rode my YZ125 wore down almost all the way after a days riding but they were great in all conditions -- which was great because I was immensely poor at riding -- can't say I've improved much compared with some of my friends lol

Goldfren are pretty good though and I prefer them over the Renthals which are readily available for most bikes.

When it comes to discs it's not a bad idea to get a good one. You'll save money on pads as the mud the naff discs attract really wears them down.

This is one of the pioneering designs (from Apico) which is used on dirt bikes at the moment as it provides good braking and helps remove mud clinging to the disc (http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/apico-facto ... 21972.html)

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”