Tyre change

Post and discuss good dirt bike shops and garages
Mike R
350cc Veteran

Tyre change

Postby Mike R » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi All,

Whilst Im on my injury enforced layoff I need to do some bits on the bike. First thing is changing the tyres. Was going to go to Elderfields just down the road from me but after Dom told me how miserable he is the other weekend Im looking for somewhere else. I am in Hindhead near Tilford.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Mike

ShaunGASGAS300

Re: Tyre change

Postby ShaunGASGAS300 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:28 pm

Never Had a problem at Elderfields myself. Does it matter if he doesn't smile at you while changing your tyre as long as its done correctly? ;)

Mike R
350cc Veteran

Postby Mike R » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Was a bit more than being miserable and I can think of a few analogies for transactions, smiling faces and happy endings but if my butcher didn't smile while taking my coin I will get my meat elsewhere ;)

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:22 pm

I walked out of Elderfields when I went there looking for a Dirt bike 18 months ago. What a miserable bloke. I walked around looking at his very lovely Red Rockets, trying to get some attention and all he did was glare any do everything but to make eye contact.

Sent from my CPN-W09 using Tapatalk
Beta Xtrainer 300 :roll:
Honda CRF230F :oops:
ex-Kawasaki KDX220R (now sold to a fellow TRF Member) :mrgreen:

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:42 pm

I have known Chris Elderfield for 30 + years and he is not always the cheeriest happy bloke in the world . His main business is motocross , the bikes turn up pristine , clean and well maintained ready to be worked on . Trail riders tend to turn up with bikes that are not particularly clean or maintained and want work ,tyres etc on wheels that are dirty , bikes that have never had the plastics ,tank off for a decent clean and want it done for next to nothing .I understand why he would not want to work on such bikes . How many of you take the plastics and tank off to clean your bikes ? Maybe if you turn up with the preconception that he is a miserable sod that might cloud your opinion !!!!
Where do I go for my stuff ? Muddeeeveee on here for tyres and mousses and old sausage fingers (Luke B) on here for all maintenance , both tried tested and reliable .

Mike R
350cc Veteran

Postby Mike R » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:29 am

Steve, I have been in a few times for various bits, mainly from the shop and when I have had to speak to Chris he was always disinterested. Its not the money or the quality of work its the hassle of dealing with someone who can't at least be polite. He prefers his MX customers so fair dos leave him to it.

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:31 am

Mike R wrote:Steve, I have been in a few times for various bits, mainly from the shop and when I have had to speak to Chris he was always disinterested. Its not the money or the quality of work its the hassle of dealing with someone who can't at least be polite. He prefers his MX customers so fair dos leave him to it.

I am not saying anyone/everyone should go to Elderfields , just putting across a different opinion . I actually quite like Chris and all his family , most of who work at his shop on and off , but I can understand people finding him a bit abrasive . As I said , I also spend my money elsewhere , not really because of Chris but more to do with the excellent service from sausage fingers and muddee .The problem we will all face in the future is the small shops will shut down and then you will have to pay a main dealer a fortune only to have a 16 year old Saturday boy mess up your bike .

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:38 am

Forgot to say , many times Chris has taken stuff home for me to pick up out of hours ,Sunday etc so he's not all bad .

Mike R
350cc Veteran

Postby Mike R » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:12 am

Maybe he is getting bad press and some of us am being disingenuous about him. Problem is its really hard to tell with him on face value. Maybe he warms up if you a more regular customer. Its often the case the bad things tend to come out more than the good things.

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:03 am

ScruffyDroid wrote:I walked out of Elderfields when I went there looking for a Dirt bike 18 months ago. What a miserable bloke. I walked around looking at his very lovely Red Rockets, trying to get some attention and all he did was glare any do everything but to make eye contact.

Opinion change...180°

Went down with a friend of mine to pick up his newly rebuilt bike. Chris couldn't have been more friendly!

Had a great chat in his workshop, he explained in great detail work he was doing, showing me Red Rocket engines that were to be rebuilt. I'm in love with the late 70's Kings of the Track, again.

Very good range of clothing, new and secondhand. Accessories well priced.

I'm always happy to stand corrected. Just hope that it wasn't a one off?

Thanks, Chris, for the opportunity to change my mind.

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:05 am

Mike

I'm changing some tyres on Saturday morning at home. I'm trying out the new Warrior Bead Breaker if you fancy giving it a go?

FYI - Elderfields had a very good deal on Gibson tyres.

Camberley area.
Mike R wrote:Hi All,

Whilst Im on my injury enforced layoff I need to do some bits on the bike. First thing is changing the tyres. Was going to go to Elderfields just down the road from me but after Dom told me how miserable he is the other weekend Im looking for somewhere else. I am in Hindhead near Tilford.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Mike

Mike R
350cc Veteran

Postby Mike R » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Unfortunately already got them done. Based on your recent experience will also drop down to elderfields for some work.

Steve - have you had words with Chris?

Return to “Suppliers & Service”