Post your riding tips or vids

Share or ask about riding and how to improve. Is it a lack of skill or just because your a f
G-Bru
You should've bought a KTM!

Postby G-Bru » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:24 pm

Struggling with ruts?

Then this great tip from Shane Watts will help, it certainly improved my rut riding ability!

phpBB [video]

Any other tips or vids welcome!

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

Dave
250cc

Re: Post your riding tips or vids

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:21 pm

My tip is go faster.

You'll make less mistakes in the same distance or the same frequency of mistakes in a greater distance. The less you think about what could happen or did happen the better.

Getting angry sometimes helps. Just think about how annoying the go compare guy is, rage out, care less, go faster!

I'm making a mockery of good advice here. You can make life harder for yourself going slow on some trails.

G-Bru

Postby G-Bru » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:26 pm

gtcodave wrote:My tip is go faster.

You'll make less mistakes in the same distance or the same frequency of mistakes in a greater distance. The less you think about what could happen or did happen the better.

Getting angry sometimes helps. Just think about how annoying the go compare guy is, rage out, care less, go faster!

I'm making a mockery of good advice here. You can make life harder for yourself going slow on some trails.

Agree, gyroscopic effect keeps the bike upright, don't fight it, embrace it!

And stand dammit, you're not doing yourself or your back any favours sitting on your botty, that's for when you fall! ; p

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:44 pm

haha yeah that's true.

standing is good. you have double the suspension, more stability, better line of sight, can shift weight where it's needed can steer the bike with your knees/legs more.

as you get confidence up you'll get to a point where you crash. don't let it play on your mind. it just means you haven't got the technique quite right yet or you went past your limits. this is good. get straight back on and go again :mrgreen:

on the flip side if you are going too fast you might miss the beautiful country side.

G-Bru

Postby G-Bru » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Nicely explained dooood!

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

Dominic
500cc MXER

Postby Dominic » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:18 pm

I hit an MX track this weekend... I last did that when I was 16, some xx years ago! Anyway.... leaving the ground came back very quickly but arriving back to ground didn't come back so quickly... or at all in fact. I could not get the mid-air balance and kept landing on the front-end. How I didn't taste dirt I don't know. Trying again this weekend.

So to keep with the essence of this post which is riding tips, I learnt/remembered that for fast tight cornering its best to be sat down as far forward as possible with the inside leg forward to act as a counter-balance and leaning away from the bike (not into the bike like road riding).

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:32 pm

More gas before you kick off on your jump dude. Also give it more gas in the air if your still diving an should bring the tail down if that's what you want.

Also, where u riding? I'll join ya when I get my bike from insurers.

Dominic
500cc MXER

Postby Dominic » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:50 am

Chiltern Young Riders. They have a lul in their usual kiddy clientele at this time of year so I'm on their track to get my skills up. They are giving me basic tuition but its mostly just hitting the track for two hours. I'm there next sat again.

There is an mx track by junction 12 of the m25... Do you know it?

G-Bru

Postby G-Bru » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:50 am

Jah, ridden there when I used to MX. Runnymead Youth Motorcycle Club, not great if you're into jumps, most of the track is hard pack, pretty tight and twisty with a very small woods section (if you can call it that). Good for developing your skills. Think it was £25 for adults and £15 for kiddies, which where staggered 20 minute sessions between 2-4 groups.

Think I may check it out again for a laugh!

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:10 am

Yeah I'd be up for going to Lyne. It's a good workout compared to most tracks; they've done a lot to try and slow you down.

It used to be a fast track but it got changed coz of the accidents. Dave Elson used to practice there. He's the only guy I knew who could ride an XR faster than a pedigree MX bike lool. Had one bad crash, landed on some hard stuff on his back and had kidney failure.

Anyway,
Last year they widened it which has made it more fun.

Dominic
500cc MXER

Postby Dominic » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:04 am

G-Bru wrote:Jah, ridden there when I used to MX. Runnymead Youth Motorcycle Club, not great if you're into jumps, most of the track is hard pack, pretty tight and twisty with a very small woods section (if you can call it that). Good for developing your skills. Think it was £25 for adults and £15 for kiddies, which where staggered 20 minute sessions between 2-4 groups.

Think I may check it out again for a laugh!

G

I think it was you who told me about it... We should do a reccie. Maybe a mid-week effort? I have leave days that I need to burn

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 am

They open some Wednesdays in the afternoon for a bit. Best to check their Facebook group as the website is rarely updated.

Keep me posted on this one!

Return to “Riding Tips & Techniques”